If you decided to start running to get fit or improve your health, or for some other reason, then the running plan for beginners is the best way to go about it. Following a running plan is crucial because it will motivate you to keep on going and help you stay on track since it outlines what you have to accomplish each day and week to reach your goal.
That being said, there are plenty of running plans for beginners out there. The trouble is; most of them are the same, without considering the specific needs of an individual. As such, they can be rather difficult or even lead to injuries in some cases. This is why we found for you a perfect running plan for beginners that will take you to 5k in just 10 weeks. Now, let's prepare for running.
3 Main Things You Must Know Before You Start RunningIf you ask a pro runner - running is pretty simple; put on some running shoes, a pair of running socks, shorts, and get going. Well, that's true. But, running correctly is critical for increasing actual performance and lowering injury risk. That's why here are the 3 main things you must know before you hit the road:
1. Walk Before You Run
People photo created by nensuria - www.freepik.com Every running plan for beginners should include walking. Undoubtedly, you'll increase your chance of injury if you jump from a sedentary lifestyle to running without walking first. So, please always walk before you run, merely to allow your body to adjust to the higher-stress activity. You're learning to run for the sake of staying healthy, not for the sake of injuring yourself.
2. Observe Your MovementYou want your movement to be smooth from beginning to end. It begins with knee drive or pushing your knees up towards your chest, which is a terrific method to avoid growing lazy legs and ensuring you don't fall. Once your foot has made contact with the ground, follow through and bring your foot toward your butt. Not only does this boost speed and power, but it also prevents injury by activating the backside of the body, which relieves stress on the front side.
3. Focus On BreathingA significant problem for new runners is that they run out of breath far too fast, which can cause wheezing or tightness in the chest. So, breathing rhythms are part of the running plan for beginners; as you begin your journey, remember to focus on your breathing. As you gain experience, you can experiment with different breathing rhythms, choosing the best one that suits your running style.
Music photo created by gpointstudio - www.freepik.com Running is a journey, and getting better at it is a journey as well. Start small with goals that feel manageable, focus on your body, and breathing. When choosing a running plan for beginners, it's good to choose a plan that incorporates the run-walk method as an excellent way to avoid injuries. The walk intervals reduce the impact on your joints while still allowing your body to move through the same range of movement as running.
Running Plan For Beginners: Train For 5K In 10 WeeksDon't stress about meeting a certain pace; it's essential to have a good running plan that motivates you to keep running rather than hitting a ten-minute-mile speed and then burning out. And as a result, you won't be running for the rest of the week. So, a running plan for beginners should be flexible enough to allow you to go at your speed and intensity. It would help if you aimed to keep a comfortable speed as a beginner runner. As mentioned before, checking your breathing is essential and the most incredible way to detect if you're running at a comfortable speed. An excellent running plan for beginners consists of 3 main steps:
- Run-Walk: Do a run-walk combo three times a week, switching between running and walking phases to increase your capacity. Use a watch with a timer or stopwatch to mark your intervals. Don't be concerned about the speed. Spending more time on your feet will help you achieve this.
- Strength Training: Strength training should be done twice a week to keep you injury-free, improve muscle activation, and increasing the efficiency of your running biomechanics. There are plenty of strength training exercises out there, but you can check this training for new runners and see if it works for you.
- Rest: Take two days off a week to allow your body to relax and heal in preparation for your upcoming training.
Source So, a good running plan for beginners should include a walk-run combo, strength training, and rest to get the most out of it, not risking the injuries. Or, if you prefer a more intense running plan, check out these running plans for beginners, and choose the one that best suits your needs. As a beginner, you must remember that consistency is key. And with a proper running plan for beginners, you will be able to run 5k in 10 weeks, which is a more realistic target than the 6 weeks suggested by some popular programs.
A Must-Have Gear For RunningEven though you can start your running plan in football shirts, beach pants, and cotton socks, they are not adequate to withstand the demands of running anything besides short distances. They will frequently flap around unnecessarily, causing itchy skin and general discomfort. Instead, prepare yourself for successful running with the following equipment:
- Running Shoes - Running shoes are essential. Choosing the right pair will improve your runs, making them more enjoyable and, to some extent, injury-free (there is nothing they can do for you if you have two left feet). So, if you're shopping for running shoes, opt for ones that have a cushioned midsole. It will help minimize some stress on the knees, toes, heel, and ankle during a run.
- Running Socks - After running shoes, running socks come as the second most essential kit. For a better running experience, choose socks made of moisture-wicking materials to reduce sweat and leave your feet blister-free. For example, the Penguin Dojo running socks are just the socks you need, made from eco-friendly ultra-fine fabrics that cushion your feet and prevent blisters and bacteria growth. And due to the enhanced compression bands, these socks will reduce muscle discomfort and swelling while also improving blood circulation, making your running as enjoyable as it can be.
- Running Clothes -Running clothes are significant for various reasons, ranging from comfort to the ability to control your body temperature depending on the weather. Wear lighter-colored, lighter-weight, moisture-wicking clothing if the weather is hot and humid. It allows you to stay cooler. Wear three layers if it's chilly, especially if it's cold and rainy.